Recently on Twitter, there has been a hashtag getting a lot of attention: #ConfessYourUnpopularOpinion. There is also the perennial #UnpopularOpinion. In either case, no matter which one you search out, you’re going to find opinions from everyday people and some of those opinions are met with ferocity and downright hostility. People, every day, ordinary citizens all have opinions, unpopular or not, but it’s how we respond to the sharing that is more telling about US than it is about them.
That said, years ago, one of my dear friends showed up at Chez Muse with a gift for yours truly. It was one of those no-special-occasion presents. It was a sign, sort of like Bill Engvall, and as my friend handed it over, she giggled, nearing the point of uncontrollable laughter as I unwrapped the package to find this:
“Everyone is entitled to my opinion.” I looked at it wryly. I laughed. I asked, “Are you trying to tell me something?” She gave me a sheepish grin in response with a long, drawn-out, “Nooooo!”
I get it. I know I can be opinionated, perhaps even obstinate in my opinions. But, there are opinions for which it does not matter what others think or feel on the topic. So, here is a short list of my “unpopular opinions.”
- Lounge/pajama pants are not appropriate for wearing outside of the house unless you’re heading to the emergency room.
- Oatmeal raisin cookies are delicious.
- Roundabouts are fantastic.
- Skinny jeans don’t look good on men.
- Everyone should know how to cook, do laundry, and clean their house whether or not they can afford to have someone else (or many else’s) do those things.
Have an unpopular opinion*? Feel free to share in the comments!
*Keep it clean. Keep it nice. No racist, misogynistic, etc., comments will be allowed.