Have you ever noticed that you have a quirk that seems to pop up time and again? A habit perhaps? Something you do in a certain place? We’ve probably all been there. Some people can’t seem to pass by a mirror or window without stopping to check themselves out and smooth away stray hairs. Some people always put their shoes on in the same way, the same order, everyday. I’m not referring to potentially harmful or socially damning habits, just the little quirks that you realize you do and think, “Hmm, aren’t I a funny little peach…”.
There are a few things I do at the office that I find I MUST do:
- I must ALWAYS remove all staples from all paperwork and re-staple with the corners as perfectly aligned as possible.
- I will not file paperwork with paperclips on it (they get lost), unless it will be filed only temporarily. If I’m filing paperwork and come across paper-clipped paperwork, see #1.
- No extra writing utensils. I work with pens, pencils and highlighters (four different colors) all day. I do not like “extras” in my desk drawer or pencil cup.
- I adjust the computer monitor and speakers at the start of each day I work. Monitor gets pushed back, speakers aligned so they face me as I sit in my desk chair.
- Any papers on the desk are put in line with the edges of the desk, fanned out neatly in a row.
- When stamping mail, I will always pull the stamps off of the roll, one-by-one, place on the envelope (lined up with the corner of course) and when done, the “tail” of the stamp backing is torn off.
Does this make me OCD? My DH seems to think it makes me “a little bit” OCD. Perhaps. Particular? Definitely. At least my paperwork is straight and well-filed. I would like to point out that when I do these things, I don’t necessarily feel anxious… it just irritates me to no end when they are NOT done that way.
Thing is… I don’t do it ALL the time, and it’s only done at the office. My desk at home is a different story entirely. Let’s just go with “quirky”. 😉